Ovum or female gamete is a larger nutritive cell. This is filled by yolk. Like an animal cell it also contains all cell organelles. Its size varies in different animals. Ovum is generally round/spherical in shape. It is covered by a thin membrane known as plasma membrane. Beside this, it is also covered by other covering membranes known as egg membrane.
These are divided into three-
1. Primary egg membrane- Secreted by ovum itself.
2. Secondary egg membrane- Secreted by ovarian tissue like follicular membrane.
3. Tertiary egg membrane- Secreted or generated by various regions of uterus or oviduct.
These membranes provide nutrition and protection for developing embryo.
Principal components of yolk are proteins, phospholipids and fats. On the basis of these components yolk can be distinguished as protein yolk and fatty yolk. Yolk can be found in the form of granular yolk (Echinodermeta), yolk platelets (amphibian) and yolk spheres (Birds) . Differentiation in oocyte establishes polarity of ovum (Animal and Vegetal pole). Pigment granules have no role in developmental process.
Author:-Dr. Priyanka Dadupanthi
Powerded by:- www.gurukpo.com
- Words decide our destiny
- Feelings and emotions-our biggest strength
- Thorough meaning of Maha mrityunjaya mantra
- Basic Elements of Thought: Concepts, Propositions and Images
- Tobacco mosaic virus
- Pair of straight lines
- Human Karyotype
- Who are Hominoids ?
- Auditory Receptor
- Early Blight of potato and tomato
- Apple Scab
- Hospital Infection Control Programme
- Real definition of management
- MIND-A property worth rupees 100 crore
- How to turn your weakness into strength
- Prayer at biyani: The Commencement of the day with positivity
- Loyalty-The pathway towards Success
- Love yourself and the world will start loving you
- Aimless life is equal to no life at all
- Cell Suspension Culture
- Plant Growth Promoting Rhizobacteria
- Tips to Reduce Global Warming
About Gurukpo.comGuru Kpo is a free online education portal which provides free study notes, top books for all subjects like Arts, Science, Commerce, Information technology, Management, Mass communication, Engineering, Education, Nursing, etc. Here you can read notes on all subjects with new techniques and simple text format which will help you to attain your goal and also to score good grades. We hope you all will utilize this opportunity.
Biyani Group of Colleges
Websites for Blogs